The steps taken by NTPC towards the goal of “Safety Initiatives” include:
- Generation of ‘clean power’ and ‘accident-free power’ by using state of the art technology, world class operation & maintenance practices and excellent housekeeping.
- Creation of the concept of safety consciousness among its employees (own workforce and contractual), their family members and local villagers by means of various training programmes, awareness programmes and road shows.
- Using systems approach by adopting and implementing latest & proven quality systems as per international norms by world class certification agencies.
- Formal joint management – worker health and safety committees to help monitor and advise on occupational health and safety programmes are in place in all the plants.
- Regular plant inspections and review with Head of projects are undertaken. Internal safety audits by safety officers of NTPC as well as external audits by reputed organizations are carried out annually at each plant. Their recommendations are regularly reviewed and duly complied with.
- Adequate numbers of qualified safety officers are posted at all units as per statutory rules and provisions.
- For strict compliance and enforcement of safety norms and practices by contractors, safety clauses are included in the General Conditions of Contract.